Thursday, November 7, 2013

Amber teething necklace

Penelope has been wearing an amber necklace since she was six months old.  I feel as if every mother I know has asked me about them and if they work.  At her check-up a few weeks ago, I had two nurses ask me if it works.  Sometimes I get annoyed because I think it works and I don't know why so I'm always like, "Yup."  So I decided to do some research so I will be more educated on the subject and now everyone will know my opinion.

I don't remember where I first heard of these teething necklaces but I didn't want to be the only mom without one!  Turns out no one I knew used them.  I bought one off of Amazon for $20 and my husband thought I was crazy. Then I tried to explain it to him and did a really bad job.  "It's supposed to help with her teething, like the stones take the pain away." I've read the history of the necklaces before, but I always forget.  Well, Josh finally got on board when his barber swore by it.  He was the same way. His wife bought his son a "hippy necklace with healing powers" and he thought it was a waste of money, until his son lost his.  He said his son was without the necklace for two weeks before they bought him another one because he was so cranky.  So finally Josh backed me up.

One thing I worried about was the fact that the necklaces are supposed to be worn at all times and not taken off or else it won't work.  Obviously I was worried about her sleeping in it and strangling. The good thing about the necklaces is that it is just the right length.  Not too long to get tangled and not too short to be too tight.  When I lay her down I make sure it's loose but we have never had a problem with it and I haven't heard of other moms having a problem either. 

When people asked me if it worked, I would say, "I think so.  Her two teeth cut through before I noticed she was even teething." It's hard to tell if it is working because you don't know what it would be like if she wasn't wearing one.  Some babies teeth easier than others.  But if it is working, you don't want to take it off.  Penelope's nurse was telling me she asked one mom about the necklace and she said, "I don't know if it works but I'm not taking it off in case it does."  Makes sense to me!

Penelope lost her necklace once. I looked all over and couldn't find it.  It was right after my family visited and she is always cranky after family leaves because she is smothered with attention for a week straight then it's just mommy (and daddy when he's not at work).  She would not sleep in her crib for at least a week.  I had to hold her at nap time and bring her into our bed at night.  I was losing my mind and it didn't make sense to me.  Josh finally mentioned she could be fussy without her teething necklace.  I went to a local store the next day, bought her a new necklace and she was happy!  So that is why I tell people it works.  She is normal with it on and fussy with it off.  Teething sounds so awful and painful so if I have to buy a $20 necklace to sooth her, no problem.

So why does it work?  There are a lot of imitation necklaces made from plastic or glass but the real ones are Baltic amber with succinic acid. When against skin, it is absorbed and circulated to relieve stress and pain. It is said to reduce pain directly associated with teething such as pain, swollen gums, red cheeks... These remedies have been known and used for centuries and the amber necklaces are very common in Europe.  There are adult necklaces or bracelets to sooth aches and pains and stress.

There you have it!  I think it works and I'm not the only one.  There are plenty of articles and reviews on the internet if you want to research it yourself.  And if you see a child wearing an amber teething necklace, it's probably because it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment