Saturday, December 20, 2014

Six months old





Half a year!  Are you kidding me!?  I can't believe it.  The last few months he has really been soaking up his title of "baby."  But this last month, he has really been changing.

He is now rolling over and sitting up.  He can say Dada and the other night, he actually reached for me when I went to pick him up.  He plays with toys more and interacts with people and laughs more.  And he is no longer "legally blind" since he's hit the six-month mark.


He is still breastfed, which is quite honestly, a chore sometimes.  It makes night feedings great though.  He hates to be covered and since we are staying with my parents, I'm always sneaking off to other rooms to feed him and leaving Penelope with someone else to watch her.  I've tried locking us all in her room, but she is such a distraction and so loud that he doesn't usually eat well with her around.  If we go to church, or dinner, I bring a bottle with me but he still doesn't really seem to know what to do with it.  He has a hard time getting it in his mouth the right way and a lot of times, he just chews on the nipple.  I can usually fight him to get down 3 ounces.



His sleeping is pretty awful.  He takes short naps during the day when his sister isn't running around.  It seems like at night he doesn't sleep for more than two hours.  Lately at least.  Last night, I didn't get him laid down until midnight and he woke up 40 minutes later. After a short feeding he fell back asleep and woke up probably an hour later screaming.  That's how the last three nights have been.   Usually, he wakes up and falls asleep while eating.  But the last few nights when he wakes up, he is tired so he fusses and doesn't want to eat.  Last night, I'm sure he was up every hour between midnight and 6 am.  At 6:30, I was so tired and frustrated, So I took him upstairs to my mom who had 20 minutes until she left for work.  She didn't have any luck either.  I did get him back to sleep at 7:30 and he woke at 8:10.  I fed him and we both went back to sleep for two hours.  Two glorious hours.  Penelope is also sleeping less and less and waking up at night too.  Last night my sister heard her wake at 2 am and put her in bed with my parents, where she slept until 8. I don't know what's wrong with Oliver though.  He doesn't seem to be teething, although he did cut two teeth recently.  When he wakes up for the day, he is happy.  He isn't sick or anything.  My family has asked me a few times if I think he is colic, but I don't think so.  I just have two kids who have always been bad sleepers and I can't figure out why they don't want me to sleep. But it's hard to stay mad at them.


Oliver has had baby food a few times.  Probably 3 jars of sweet potatoes, 1 jar of green beans and 1 of squash. I only give him baby food after he has a good feeding and a lot of times during the day he doesn't eat for very long until 5pm. 



He is already 20 pounds.  Penelope didn't weigh that until she was nearly 1.  But he was also born over 9 pounds, and a boy.  He is wearing 6-9, 6-12 and 9 month clothes right now. 

Our goal for next month is to sleep more!  And also more tummy time to work on crawling.


Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment